The Kareri Lake is a charming glacial lake, set in the Dhauladhar mountain range in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh. The first step to this surprising lake is McLeodGanj. McLeodGanj is a suburb in Dharamshala and is a popular spot for travelers, in which the main attractions are the monasteries and the lakes and falls around the region. The Tsuglagkhang, that is the residence of the Dalai Lama, is a famous attraction. McLeodGanj is also recognized for the trekking opportunities that it presents, such as the Triund Trek and the Kareri Lake Trek.
The trek will depart you spellbound on the sheer beauty of the sub-tropical forests and grasslands. The first 1/2 of the trek will take you through wealthy woods fashioned majorly of pine. The path is a bit slippery due to the fact it is strewn with pine needles. These forests are a treat for bird spotters, as they’re replete with a wide variety of them, inclusive of the crimson-billed blue magpie.
Along the second half, you’ll trek along the Nyund rivulet, which originates from the Kareri Lake. Contrasting grasslands welcome you and come up with an extensive-attitude picture opportunity. The grasslands are an attraction to the shepherds as well, for the tremendous grazing vicinity.
Kareri Lake is a 2-nights, 3 days trek however, it can also be completed in 2 days. It is moderately hard. Neither strenuous nor a chunk of cake but all over adventurous and complete of scenic views.
When to Go
The exceptional instances to visit this area are –
- In summer season- From April to September
- In winters- November to January
Getting to Ghera Village
The trek to Kareri Lake starts from the Ghera Village, which is 20 kilometers from McLeodGanj. There are buses from McLeodGanj to Ghera at regular periods starting at 8:00 AM. You also can take a taxi for the delivered convenience of your very own agenda and a more comfy journey.
Getting to McLeodGanj
Road – Take a bus from Delhi to Mcleodganj or Dharamshala or from Chandigarh to either of the locations.
Rail – The nearest railway station from Dharamshala is Pathankot. Take a bus from Pathankot to Dharamshala, then a town bus from Dharamshala to Mcleodganj.
Air – Gaggal airport is the closest airport to Dharamshala. Take a taxi to McLeod Ganj.
Points to note –
- Plan ahead – Planning your trip properly earlier is crucial. Timing your trek is crucial on the grounds that there are numerous affecting factors. Select appropriate dates to go to, test the predicted weather situations, appearance up the news. Start early in the morning on both days to make sure you finish earlier than sunset.
- Wear more than one layer – The Kareri Lake is situated at an altitude of 2934 meters above sea level. The temperature goes below zero degrees in winters. Carry your pullover, jacket, and a woollen shawl. It is likewise encouraged to put on heat innerwear. In the summer, light heat clothes can be sufficient, though it’s far smart to carry an extra jacket.
- Have a water bottle on you – The bottled water you’ll find on the way might be luxurious, every so often three times the retail fee. While wearing lots of water with you isn’t practical, carry a 1-liter bottle that you can fill up from smooth water sources (water filter for your resort, water streams on the manner). When important, you should buy water from them with ease placed shacks alongside the way.
- Gear – For this slight trek, an excellent pair of trekking footwear is suggested. Leave your sports activities shoes at domestic as you may tread on slippery trails inside the forest. An everyday backpack or a rucksack will be enough for the trek. You can hire tents and sleeping bags at the camp websites at reasonable charges. Keep a primary aid package with the simple drugs, and the basic requirements for dressing a wound.
- Toiletries – Down to the vital. There may be no luxury at campsites. Dry pits inner tents can be all you’re going to have. So, bring rest toilet paper for better hygiene as water source might be at a bit of distance.
- You may locate better washrooms within the gaddi huts close to the campsite at Reoti.
- Campsites – The first day, you’ll camp at Reoti by using the move for the night. While you can set up tents at this site, there are gaddi huts positioned a few meters similarly up the move. They offer a hotter residing opportunity, and price better than the tents.
The subsequent morning, if you plan to return well in time, you would possibly leave your tents at Reoti installation.
Things to Carry
Following are a few important that you want to carry with you:
- Sunscreen and shades
- ID proof
- Sanitizer, rest room paper, and tissue paper
- Insect repellent
- Woollen shawl